Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Update on our daily life

It's been a month already since I blogged! Tax season and fall tv shows are taking up pretty much all of my time and when I'm not doing that I try to spend a little time with my hubby when he's not studying! I kept meaning to write a little update on what we've been up to lately in our everyday life and what our summer consisted of ...so better late than never. The summer usually is slower at work but it seemed like we never really slowed down this year, and I definitely never ran out of work. I got promoted this summer to a Tax Senior, which has been good so far but I'm still in the process of learning how to juggle my prep and review work and how to gain efficiencies reviewing. After Colt wrapped up his first year of med school in May, he started a summer research position in cardiothoracic surgery for the summer so he still had to go into school everyday and he only had a week off, which is when we went on our vacation this summer. For his research position, he had to be at the hospital every morning at 7 to do rounds. Some days he got to watch a few surgeries and he saw some pretty interesting things and procedures over the course of the summer. The time that stands out to me is when he got a call at 4 to come in for a double liver transplant. When they weren't shadowing, Brock and him worked on their research papers, which they still have to work on and try to get submitted sometime. 
Basically, our summer consisted of me dropping him off each morning at the hospital, going to work out at the school, going to work and then picking him up in the afternoons when he was done. Exciting huh?! But at least the weekends were ours to do what we wanted and he didn't ever have anything he had to study! I do think he was somewhat ready to go back to his old routine and start school again when August rolled around though. 
Now he's already well into his second year of med school. Basically this year he has an exam every three weeks so it's pretty routine and usually he has every third weekend to take completely off if he wants to. His last test was supposedly one of the hardest he will have in med school and he did great on it. He always thinks he should've gotten a few more right, but he always does good. It also seems like he's been having to do more patient exam scenarios this year, and he had to do one on an actual patient (rather than an actor) last week.

And I have about two more weeks of tax season and then no more busy season until February!

No comments:

Post a Comment