Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Cutler - 1 month old

Even though Cutler is about to turn 8 months old in a few days... Cutler turned 1 month old on March 7th. Of course, I have the same regret that I had with Kinley. I wrote down a few notes here and there, but I wish these posts were fresh so I could remember even more details. Will they even care?Probably not.

Here's a little recap of that first month:

Birth - 7 lbs. 13 oz., 21 inches long, 13.25 inch head

1 day old - 7 lbs. 10 oz. when we got to go released from the hospital

2 days old - 7 lbs. 6 oz. (44%) 20.5 inches long (83%) 14.5 inch/36.8 cm. head (96%) . Someone measured wrong because there is no way that his head got that much bigger, and he definitely didn't shrink in length! His bilirubin was high at this appointment. By the digital read, his head was 8.6 and chest was 10.3. They did a heel stick, and it was 12.6. We were told to go see another pediatrician the following day, Saturday. If his levels weren't better, they were going to admit us to the hospital so he could be treated. I know this isn't that big of a deal, but it shook me up. I did not want to end up back in the hospital with him, especially with Kinley at home. 

3 days old - 7 lbs. 7 oz. (43%) This was at his follow-up appointment for his bilirubin check. He had gained an ounce. By the digital read, his levels were about 3 points away from what they would have to be to be admitted. The doctor that day didn't do a heel stick. She said he looked good and if he was feeding well, she was good with it. She also didn't want to do a follow up the next day. Colt said the reason she probably didn't do a heel stick is because if we had been borderline, she would've had to admit us. We just had to keep waking him every couple hours there for a while to feed him. 

14 days old -  8 lbs. 8 oz. (49%) 21.2 inches long (82%) 15 inch/38.1cm. head (97%). I text Colt after this appointment and told him that we didn't have to worry about him getting back up to his birth weight. We were worried about Kinley getting back up to hers at this age, but Cutler had gained 11 oz. over his birth weight!

1 month old - 10.2 lbs.

At one of his appointments, they mentioned that he had a little herniated outie bellybutton. It wasn't bad. The doctor expected it to clear up by age 1 or 2. They did mention that if it was still there when he was 6, we would look into surgery options. It cleared up on it's own already so no issues there!

He has a little stork bite on the back of his head that will probably end up being covered up by his hair when he gets it.

He also has a little blue vein on the bridge of his nose next to his eye. I think they call it a sugar bug.

Cutler did not and still does not like to lay on my chest. He would rather be cradled like a baby.

Like with Kinley, we used a nipple shield to nurse at first. We actually started out not using one with Cutler but ended up going to it. He weaned from it quickly though and quit using it around 3 months.


He always had a stuffy nose there in the beginning. He got a cold during week 2 or 3 and quit sleeping well. Even thought I say he quit sleeping, I never ended up on the couch with him sleeping on my chest like I did with Kinley. He was and still is HANDS DOWN an easier baby than Miss Priss was. He slept in our room in the rock n play most nights. We tried the snuggle nest sleeper that Nicci gave us and put him on the dog kennel so I could see him a few nights, but the rock n play seemed to work best.

It looks like he is going to have blue eyes like his Daddy and his sister. 

We went up from newborn to size 1 diapers at 3 weeks old.

I had bought some up to 7 lb. clothes expecting him to come early. We didn't get to wear them very long! He wore mostly newborn clothes that whole first month and just a few 0-3 months. 

I wasn't used to having to change a little boy's diaper. I got peed on a few times in the very beginning. One time, he shot across the bed in our room! Cleaning around his circumcision made me a little nervous in the beginning. It started to look red to me, and I messaged the doctor. They said what I was describing was completely normal. His ring fell off pretty quickly and we were all good after that. I still say that in the beginning a boys diaper was harder to change than a girls. 

I had kidney stone surgery on March 12th and had to leave him. This was just a few days after he turned 1 month old. I know people go through much worse, but it was hard on me leaving him. I went to the ER that morning early and had surgery that evening and didn't get home until late. When I got home, I was still coming off anesthesia and was shaky and hurting so I was scared to hold him. I didn't really get to hold him all day. Giggy and Grandma took care of him, even when he got up in the middle of the night that night. It was his first time to have formula. I didn't have enough milk pumped and due to medications, I had to pump and dump there for a bit. It definitely wasn't an ideal situation, but at his age, I definitely think it bothered me more than him!

On March 15th, about 1 week after he turned 1 month old, I think I caught his first real smile.

We didn't venture out of the house too much that first month besides to take big sister to school on Tuesday and Thursday or maybe to tag along while big sister played at a park.

We had visits and got to meet both Aunt Nadine and Aunt Nicci that first month.
Gerald, Allison and Hensley came to visit. James came and brought a gift from him and Jess. Our neighbor dropped off a bible on behalf of Green Acres. My parents neighbors, the Higgins and the Cashs, both sent gifts to welcome Cutler. Kathy Wright, a lady I used to work with, surprised me with a gift. The McClintics, the Dies and the Pakzads all got us some little boy outfits. The Burges sent  gifts along with several things that were Witten's. Several people dropped off meals that first month or so and some got to sneak a peak of our little man, including Josh and Brianna, Carolyn Jackson, Shelley Riehl, Brandy Dial, Michelle Algaier, Amy Pemberton, Molly Cash, Katy Link, and Amanda Vig.

There have definitely been times I've wondered what we got ourselves into having two kids fairly close together, but Cutler had been the perfect addition to our family. He had the best disposition, and I think he's going to balance out his wild sister. I can't imagine life without him now!
Evidently he was tired when I decided to take pictures that day.
During his monthly pictures, Kinley (aka Minnie Mouse that day) wanted a turn. She was happy as could be and could care less how he felt about it!
Poor guy... I don't think he has any hope with her around!
Side by side of both of our babies at 1 month old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment