THIS RIGHT HERE... except I didn't even have a good immune system before I had kids!
I feel like someone in our family has been sick at some point pretty much the entire last two months. I am over winter and cold and flu season. We've had very few days where we have been 100%. We haven't been to the gym or had our normal routine in what seems like forever. Currently, Cutler has croup and pneumonia. Now, I'm sick with cold symptoms and coughing my head off too. Friday morning, I ended up with Cutler in the ER from about 2:30 am until 4:30 am. He'd been coughing for over a week at night but acting fine during the day. Friday, he woke up crying and when I went to his room, he had a croupy cough and was having trouble catching his breathe. I tried to calm him for a while and ended up bringing him in and waking up Colt. Colt wasn't comfortable with how fast he was breathing at rest and didn't want to wait until the next morning to get him looked at. Colt had to be at work at 5 that morning. He stayed home since Kinley was asleep. Cutler and I headed to the ER. Colt called ahead and talked to the doctor on call here at South Tyler. Cutler calmed down a little and was breathing better by the time we got there. It was probably a combo of the Motrin we gave him at home and the cold air outside. He was still running fever when we got to the hospital and definitely had croup. They went ahead and gave him a steroid and did a chest X-ray. Before we could get the results read from the x-ray, I had to leave to get home to Kinley so Colt could head to work. He ended up having pneumonia so we started him on an antibiotic later in the day. He is coughing so bad at night and just feeling crummy. He starts coughing so bad, he usually ends up throwing up if he drinks a bottle. Last night, I ended up going and standing in front of the freezer with him during one of his coughing spells. I started coughing about 4 nights ago and it hasn't let up. I've had to take cough medicine every night to get any sleep. Today, I was coughing all day so I've started on an antibiotic too now. Poor Cutler on top of being sick, has pooped all day today. I think it's been about 7 times. His little booty is starting to hurt. Colt thinks it's probably just the antibiotic he's on. Fingers crossed, we aren't getting a stomach bug on top of all this. To top off our day yesterday, when I got home from the ER with Cutler, I got him settled and asleep. Then I started coughing. About the time I finally went to bed, Kinley woke up super early. I gave her her iPad and told her she could play and watch shows because I needed some sleep. When I heard Cutler on the monitor, I looked at it and he was pulled up and standing over the side of his crib. This is the first time he's done it, and I had just said earlier in the week that it was time to move his crib down more. By the time I sprinted in his room, he was on the ground crying. It scared me to death, but he acted fine afterwards. Josh came over and helped move the crib down. Yesterday was definitely not the best day! Colt is working out of town in Sulphur Springs a couple days and he's probably glad. We're pretty pitiful looking here at our house. I was actually looking forward to a hair appointment today and had hired a sitter for the kids. I've only used a sitter I think three times since I had Cutler and probably only 5 times total since we moved here so I'm in serious need of some alone time and a break! Those plans changed!
The fall from the crib... this isn't the first time Cutler has had a fall. I'm not sure if I posted about it yet, but back in September, he fell out of his bumbo that I stupidly had on the kitchen counter, onto our tile floor head first. It's a pretty far fall from our island to the floor. He was in the bumbo and scooted his feet and pushed himself right off the counter. That was our first ER visit for him. It was SUPER SCARY and I cried for days. We got lucky and definitely could've had a worse outcome. I think the only thing that saved him from getting seriously hurt was the fact that he was buckled in and I think the cushion on the bumbo took some of the impact. I was feeding him breakfast and had him in his bumbo on the counter. I turned for just a second to get something from the silverware drawer. When I turned back, he was on the floor. He immediately started crying. He calmed a little when I nursed him, which was a good sign. Colt was gone so I immediately called him. He was with Josh and they rushed home. Colt was scared and I could tell. Josh was hugging and trying to comfort me. I'm pretty sure Cutler had a concussion because he was out of it the whole way to the hospital. They were about to run a CT scan on his head when he kinda snapped out of it and started acting normal. We opted to wait it out and observe him instead of do the CT scan. We ended up taking him home. That night Colt found me crying in the shower. I felt like the worst mom ever. Of course Colt was like, "Why are you crying, there's nothing to cry about. He's fine." He said, "9/10 people do things like you did. They just get lucky that nothing happens. It happened and it's over with and you should be happy." I was happy, but I still had all the what ifs in my head. I told Colt that when he gets older and he's teased about being dropped on his head as a kid that it'll be true. To make matters worse, Colt's mom called to check on me the next day because she knew I was shook up. When she did, she told me that her ex-sister in law had her baby fall off the kitchen counter and they died... gee thanks I guess. Needless to say, it didn't make me feel better about the situation. The next day, I immediately got rid of the bumbo. It was my fault that it happened, but I still didn't want it in my house anymore! I told my mom after the crib fall yesterday that if I kept Cutler alive until he's 1, it's going to be a miracle.
On top of our current sickness, Cutler was so sick with cold symptoms at the beginning of November when I took him in for his 9 month well check that they did a chest x-ray then as well. We've passed around cold symptoms and crud between all of us lots during November and December. We also had what we are pretty positive was food poisoning right before Christmas. We went to Great Wolf Lodge and the Polar Express with the Burge family in Grapevine. Colt decided instead of staying the second night and driving back the next morning, he wanted to drive back that night and hope that the kids slept in the car. In hindsight, it's actually a really good thing we did or our drive home would've been even more miserable. We ate dinner at Grimaldi's with the Burges and then went and looked at a few Christmas lights. When we were packing up and about to head home, I told Colt I was feeling nauseous but didn't think too much of it. I just thought it was from eating a bunch of junk the whole trip. Well on the car ride home, I started throwing up. Luckily, we had a cup in the car I could use. I still didn't think too much of it. I actually told Colt that it felt exactly like when I was pregnant with Cutler all over again! I kept throwing up. 30 minutes later, Kinley woke up from a dead sleep and projectile vomited all over my car. I climbed in the back with her and she just kept throwing up. Luckily, we were 15 minutes from home. I put her in the tub when we got home to clean her up and she was just shaking and throwing up. I kept throwing up when we got home too. At about 2 that morning, Colt started throwing up for a couple hours. Then at about 5, Kinley woke up with diarrhea. We all continued down the same road the next day all while trying to clean throw up out of the car and out of the carpet in the house. Cutler didn't get sick and he's the only one of us that didn't eat pizza that night. The way it hit us all so fast, we think it had to be the food. Plus, the Burges didn't get sick and I think if it was a bug, they would've got it since they were around us so much. They ate pizza too, but had different toppings so I'm guessing it might've been the sausage on our pizza maybe. I will probably never eat at Grimaldi's again regardless. We got better just in time to travel for Christmas... and now we're sick with something else! I'm really hoping we start 2019 off healthy and stay that way for a while!
Now I better get to sleep while I can because I have a little boy that'll probably be needing me again soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment