Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Going home from the hospital...the first time

The fact that I am over 6 months behind on blogging is a little overwhelming. I just keep getting more and more behind. I had planned on posting weekly updates of Kinley, and the fact that I'm so far behind makes me sad. Even though I have a TON of pictures and videos and I've kept up with a few notes on my phone along the way to try to remember things,  I know that I won't remember and be be able to capture all the little details that I wish I had. Some is better than nothing though! 

As I mentioned in Kinley's birth story, we got to go home around 5pm on Monday, June 15th.  Since I didn't have any bags packed, her going home outfit was just one of the outfits that got washed and brought up to the hospital. Nothing we had fit her, and even this onesie was way too big! It matched her little hat and gloves though! She definitely didn't fit in the personalized gown that I had bought and planned on her wearing home from the hospital. This was her laying on the bed before we loaded her in her carseat to head home.
She was 6 lbs. when she was born. I think she was 5 lbs. 5 oz. that day when we got to go home that day. 
And this was after Daddy loaded her in the carseat. She was so tiny. It's crazy how differently she fills up her carseat now!

My mom left the hospital to go to our house a little before we did. When we got released, they wheeled me down in a wheelchair, and Colt went to go get the truck. I was waiting and waiting with the hospital staff. After a while, we figured out that Colt had went to the other exit door! When we got to the same place, we loaded Kinley and then me up. Everyone we saw while leaving the hospital told us what a beautiful baby we had! It was definitely a weird feeling to be driving home with a baby in tow!

Colt had previously brought home one of Kinley's blankets for the dogs to smell. When we got home from the hospital, I came in first and played with the dogs and gave them some attention. Then we brought Kinley in and let them smell of her for a bit to try to get them adjusted to her being there. 

Here are Lucky and Alex meeting their sister for the first time!
When we got home, we ordered pizza for dinner. We left Kinley with my mom for a few minutes while Colt and I made a quick Target trip to get a few things that we had to have and see if we could find her some clothes that would fit. My mom was a little emotional that night which stressed me out a little. Other than that though, that night home with Kinley was great and pretty easy. Because of her jaundice, for at least the first two weeks, they wanted us to wake her every two hours for her to eat so that we could get weight on her and so that she would go to the bathroom so we could get her belli levels down. 

When we got home, we were supposed to be monitoring Kinley to see if she started looking any more yellow from her jaundice. The lighting in our house seemed awful and depending on where we were in the house, she either looked fine or looked super yellow. Colt started taking pictures of her in comparison to his hand to try to determine any changes.

Daddy giving her a bottle that first night around 10:30. I don't think he focuses that much now!
And this was us playing at about 12:45 that night/the next morning while she was up for a feeding. She was real hard to get alert and awake for feedings at first.
Tuesday morning we had to take Kinley to the hospital for her newborn screening. Our appointment was at 11am. My mom left to go home when we left for her appointment. At the appointment, Kinley was gaining a little weight and she passed her belli level check. We also saw the lactation consultant while we were there and they watched a feeding. 

Kinley passed out on Tuesday afternoon. 
Robb and Alicia came over and brought fajitas to us for dinner and ate with us on Tuesday night. Later on Tuesday night, Kinley started acting funny and became inconsolable. Colt kept taking her around the house and even in the garage to look at her coloring. 

This was around 8:30 when we started thinking she was looking more and more yellow.
And these were at around 9:45.


  And then again around 3 am when nothing was working and we were both starting to get a little concerned.
After she just kept screaming her head off and looking more yellow, Colt decided he wanted to go ahead and take her in.  He said he guessed he was going to be one of the dad's that they all talk about that brings his kid into the emergency room! He really thought we would be able to go and they would give us a belli lamp blanket to take home and treat her, but that wasn't the case. Unfortunately, they don't do that here. More about our trip to the emergency room that led to our stay in the hospital on the next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment