Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Nursery projects

Colt was in ultrasound/anesthesia in May so he had a pretty light schedule and a lot more time for projects. We had picked out and ordered Kinley's bedding back in March but that, along with buying her crib, was all that we had done for her room. We put off doing anything else until May since we knew Colt would have more free time. For the nursery, we ended up going with gray walls. We made a trip to Lowe's one day for paint and supplies... Who knew there were so many grays to choose from?! The room the nursery is in was originally a light blue from the previous owners. After taping everything off, this was Colt painting the first coat .I helped a little and painted around the bottom trim. 
May 9th
 
He quickly remembered that he hated painting and considered hiring someone to do it. However, since he was already so far in, he sucked it up and finished. I don't see him ever painting again though!  At first the room looked a little blue, but as it dried and as we got other stuff in there, it started to look a little more gray. Even if it was blue looking, Colt definitely wasn't redoing it so we were stuck with it regardless!
He decided he wanted to do a white chair rail so he immediately got started on it next. It turned out good and adds a little something to the solid color wall.
May 11th
And here's another "in progress" pic with the curtains and the chair that we had ORIGINALLY bought from Target and ended up taking back. At the time, I thought I liked the look of the dark gray chair and was willing to give up a little comfort. Now I'm definitely glad we ended up taking this back and getting the light gray chair we ended up with. I think I like the color better and definitely the comfort now that I've had to use it multiple times. I found the curtains online from the Company Store and took a chance on them. Luckily they came in and matched the bedding perfectly.
May 12th
Since we used my old white furniture from when I was growing up, literally the only furniture we bought for the room was the crib and the chair (and my parents actually bought the crib). Everything else Colt ended up building. We had originally planned on repainting my old furniture and touching up the white since my mom and I had painted it probably 15 or more years ago... but that plan changed after the walls got painted and we decided it was good enough!

I wanted a shelf to go over the dresser/changing table. After looking around and not really finding what I wanted, I went to Pinterest and gave Colt some ideas. This is what he ended up with. He would much rather buy tools and build stuff than spend money on something he can make. It allows him to add to his tool collection!
May 20th
I was actually planning on making this bow holder but it quickly became one of his projects too. He does stuff 10 x's faster than me so he usually ends up taking over. I will say the bow holder looks bare in this picture. We definitely have a lot more bows that that now! We actually need a bigger frame because our hooks for headbands are now overflowing.
Some bookshelves that he built a couple days later. 
May 22nd
I had been putting all her additional books in a basket next to the chair. We quickly realized that and this bookshelf weren't going to cut it since her library was getting pretty large quickly.  Colt ended up building an additional book shelf.
The new chair that we ended up with after our trip to BuyBuy Baby on Memorial Day weekend. Can you believe Colt carried the old chair over his shoulder from the parking lot into Target to take it back?! He's a little nuts.
You can just look at this chair and tell it's more comfy. This was definitely a good decision.
May 25th
The pink rug from Target that we added
May 26th
Her blocks that I ordered off of Etsy in her room colors
This cross was given to us by the Fisk when we got married. When we got it at our wedding shower, I had always planned on using it in our future daughters room because of the colors. 
At the end of May, I went to pick up her monogrammed blanket at Zooty's here in Temple. When we moved here, we went to a meet and greet and I won a gift certificate to Zooty's and never redeemed it. Luckily, they let me still use it a year later. It turned out so good, especially for free!
Her name that I had ordered off Etsy came in during the middle of July. We had thought it would get here a week or so after she was born.  Since Little Miss came early, it got here about a month after she was born.  I love it though. 
July 16th
To the left of the chair is the additional bookshelf that Colt built and mounted to the wall. It also comes in handy as a little table to put bottles, pacis, etc. on. We also added the lamp that Colt found at a store called At Home in Mesquite when he made a quick trip there with his mom when we were visiting. We have the lamp, along with the bedside lamps in our rooms, programmed to where we can turn them on/off and dim them on our phones. It makes it so nice and so much easier to not have to flip switches or have it too bright.  

More pictures of the finished nursery along with a little wall decor to come. 
 When people come over and comment on things in the room, I have to give all the credit pretty much to Dad! People don't believe it, but he's a decorator and luckily he's pretty handy too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment