Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Little Update and My 30th Birthday (in May)

My hopes of getting caught up on blog posts while I'm on maternity leave are pretty much gone! I start back to work next week, and I'm still in May, pre-Kinley. Colt has had a pretty awful schedule lately with a lot of flipping back and forth between days and nights. Since we weren't going to be seeing a lot of Colt anyways and since I didn't know when I would have another chance, this past weekend I braved the 4 hour trip solo with Kinley to stay a few nights with my family. We got back on Tuesday to Colt getting sick while also still being on a bad schedule. He was finishing up working 9 pm - 7 am shifts at the first of the week and now he's switched to PICU for the month of September and has been working 6 pm - 6 am shifts the rest of the week. He comes home and sleeps during the day and because he's been sick, he's been basically getting up just in time to make it back to work. He's been looking like death when he gets up. Kinley and I have probably saw him about 30 minutes each day the last three days. When we do see him, he keeps his distance so we don't get sick too. Here lately, I've definitely been solo and feeling what I think it would feel like to be a single mom.

Kinley is 12 weeks old now. I can't believe it! It makes me sad that she's growing so fast. I've heard the saying "the days are long but the years are short" a couple of times lately, and I TOTALLY get it!

When Kinley turned about 10 weeks old, it seems like she started to become less fussy and rest/sleep better (knock on wood). Who knows the real reason or if there even is one but my guess is that it's because at 8 weeks, I quit drinking cow's milk. I'm not going crazy and cutting out cheese or everything that has milk in it. I'm just not drinking my normal 2-3 gallons a week. I'm drinking almond milk instead. Supposedly it can take a couple weeks for milk to get out of your system so the timing kind of fits. We also started her on a nightly probiotic at the same time. Regardless of the reason, I'm not complaining about more sleep, and I'm not reintroducing cow's milk into my diet just yet. The last couple of weeks she's been doing at least a 3-4 hour stretches of sleep each night and a couple of times time a 5 hour. Before that, it was 2-3 hours tops at a time. However, our pediatrician said at her 8 week appointment that we have to keep thinking of her as 4-5 weeks younger than she really is since she came early and in her opinion 2-3 hours was good for her "age" at that time.

Kinley does still want to be held all the time. It seems like as soon as I put her down, she realizes it within 5-10 minutes most of the time! I know one day I will miss it so right now I am just holding her as much as I can. I have recently became addicted to watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix while I hold her though. Besides the fact that it's hard to type one handed while holding her, my binge watching is another reason I haven't been on the computer. It's a good show!

 Now a quick rewind back to my 30th birthday that was on May 17th... There was something about turning 30 that made me feel like I was getting a lot older. Of course Colt gave me a hard time since he's 27. We played about it, but it really didn't bother me that much. I did fail my eye exam at the drivers license office that week though! Later that day, Colt tested me at home and told me I should've passed and that I needed to retake it so it wasn't on my license. I went back a week later and passed. He's so smart :) I also played about me being "30 and pregnant." I had told Colt years ago that I wanted to be pregnant by the time I was 30... he joked with me that he did his job. We really aren't big on celebrating. However, I had scheduled massages for both of us that Sunday for my birthday at Woodhouse Day Spa in Belton. I got a prenatal. It had a lot to be desired. Colt got a deep tissue which he also said was not that great. He kept asking me where I wanted to go for dinner. I told him I was good with ordering pizza and staying in. He kept acting like we needed to go somewhere for some reason. Finally, he said that he had already told Matt and Whitney that we would meet them at BJs so it was too late to back out. When we showed up at BJs, not only were Matt and Whitney there, there were a ton of people at a group table when we walked in the door! Colt had planned a little surprise dinner. He had also gotten Anna to bake me a birthday cake. She didn't just make me one either, she made me two. She made both a red velvet and a german chocolate. They were so good! Of course the leftovers got sent home with me, and I'm sure that didn't help with my pregnancy weight gain!

Here's a pic of the cakes before they were devoured.
A little before my birthday, David and Dede had also gotten me this ring. It fit at the time. Now it's a little big so I need to get it sized. 
Here's to my 30s! I think they're going to be pretty great!

No comments:

Post a Comment