On September 24th, I competed in the Thin Blue Line Throwdown, a CrossFit competition at my gym. I definitely wasn't planning on competing in it. It was teams of 4, 2 guys and 2 girls. When Krista asked me, I told her I would be their backup if they couldn't find anyone else. Well, evidently that meant that I was doing it. We ended up signing up for Rx rather than scaled. I was definitely a little intimidated because I had just started working out a few months before after not working out forever pre-baby and post-baby. I also knew that some of the people that were competing in Rx were actually on our competition team or had been to CrossFit Regionals before. If it was a solo competition, I wouldn't have been as nervous. I just didn't want to be the weak link and let my team down.
This was our team, the FRANtastic Four. Krista and I worked out together most mornings. The mornings that we didn't, she was the gym babysitter for Kinley. She also kept Kinley one time while Colt and I went on a day date. She recently moved back to New York, and I miss working out with her. Our 2 guys were Torey and Ryan. They both are students at UMHB. Krista knew them, but I didn't. Krista is pretty serious about working out so she planned a couple of team meetings for us prior to the competition. I met Torey for the first time at the first meeting, but Ryan didn't show up. The second meeting she scheduled, neither one of them showed up. We were beginning to wonder if they would show up the day of the competition!
Workout 1 was:
Athlete 1:
15-12-9
Thrusters (95lb men/65lb women)
Pull ups
Athlete 2:
12-9-6
Thrusters (115/75)
Burpees over bar
Athlete 3:
9-6-3
Thrusters (135/95)
Chest 2 Bar Pull ups
Athlete 4:
5-3-1
Thrusters (155/105)
Bar Muscle Ups
Workout 2 Part 1 was:
Athlete 1:
1 rep max hang clean
Athlete 2:
1 rep max shoulder to overhead
Athlete 3:
1 rep max front squat
Athlete 4:
1 rep max thruster
THEN after a 2 minute break, Part 2 was:
1 mile run as a team
After every person reached the finish line, then we had 160 ft. sled pull with each athlete pulling 40 ft. The girls weight on the sled was 150 lbs. and the guys was 195 lbs.
All 4 of us were pretty fast so we knew if we could hang with everyone the rest of the workouts, we would probably do really well in the run. A couple days before the competition, Krista ran a mile to see how fast she could run it in, and she ran it in a 6:30. She text me like it was no big deal! My plan was to just keep fairly close to her so that we could start the sled pull when I got done.
Before the run, we were sitting in 3rd place. There were only 5 teams! 3 made it to finals though, and Krista was really wanting to make it to the finals. When we were running, I got to about the 400m and looked at Krista and said "where's our guys?" I looked back and thought I saw them, but it wasn't them. We got to the 800m turn around point and met our guys just starting their mile run! They were inside talking and didn't know that we had started!! So the next 800m, we just took it easy running since our guys were so far behind and we couldn't start the next part until everyone was done. We ended up hitting the time cap before I could even do the sled pull. While Krista and I were standing around waiting on our guys to finish their run, our judge made the comment "that's what you get for having college guys as partners!" I didn't even think about looking for them at the starting line. I just assumed they were there! I watched the finals though, and I think it was a blessing in disguise (for me at least). I wouldn't have wanted to do the finals workout, and we definitely would've gotten last in it!
I was actually proud of how Krista and I did. I told Colt to remind me to never agree to do a competition again though! It just takes a lot of time. Plus since Colt was working, I had to get someone to watch Kinley. Luckily, Colt's mom and Davallen came and kept her for me.
Not a very pretty lifting face!
While I was working out, Kinley was home playing ... and wearing her Daddy's boots. I had to leave before Kinley ever woke up that morning. Grandma was pretty surprised with how much Kinley ate for breakfast. I had told her before I left that Kinley ate 2 or 3 eggs, along with all her fruit. When I got home she said she was glad I told her because she really did eat that much and that she would've probably only made her 1 egg! I was a little worried leaving Kinley because at the time no one else had really ever put her down for a nap but me. They said she did great though and was happy and playing like crazy the whole time I was gone!







No comments:
Post a Comment