Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Exceeded Google Storage Limit

I went to blog about our Thanksgiving yesterday and got the error that I had exceeded my max Picasa storage limit. It seems like a lot of blogs that I follow have all received the same message recently. However, I still have 5GB of storage left on Google Drive. I played with (wasted time) yesterday trying to figure out how to get photos from Google Drive to blogger but was unsuccessful. I emailed Google Drive customer support though to ask them if there was a way and should hear back in the next couple of days. 

A couple years ago I exceeded the limit and was required to pay $5 for the entire year for an additional 20G of storage space, which I would be more than willing to do now. However when I got the email to renew a year ago, I didn't renew because I didn't need it at the time. Per my husband, evidently for something like storage I should always pay and renew if it's that cheap. Anyways, evidently if I wouldn't have let that lapsed I would have been grandfathered in at that rate. Now they are charging 2.50 per month for 25G of storage. That comes out to $30 per year, 6x's the price of their old rates!

I wouldn't pay it yesterday. I think I found a way around it. You can use Photobucket and upload your pics there and then copy and paste the URL to blogger. It seems to me like it takes a lot more time though because you have to copy and paste each individual URL to blogger rather than just upload to blogger and add all your pics to your blog at one time. Plus, then your photos will be in two separate places. I just gave up on it last night and decided I would wait to hear from Google Drive and see if there is a way to use it for blogger. Colt said that $30 a year for a hobby wasn't that bad and that I would probably never reach 25G since I have only used 1G to date. I just don't like the thought of having to pay a monthly fee or the fact that they increased their prices so much from what I had paid previously. 

I guess in the next few days, I will decide if I will copy and paste from Photobucket or just pay the fee to save time. 

If anyone has any other easy alternatives, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Did you end up paying for it? I am trying the photobucket process for now....it is a little bit of a hassle, but I kind of like the idea of having all of my pictures uploaded in albums on the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing the copy and paste the URL from photobucket right now. It does take longer though :( so we'll see if I get fed up with it! I did see where a lot of others were having the issue even though they aren't out of storage and evidently google is aware and looking into the issue. I heard back from Google Drive that you can't upload from there directly to blogger though. I do like the idea that you can make your albums private on photobucket too and still have the images on your blog. On picasa, when you make your album private, it deletes it from your blog, and when you make it public so it shows up on your blog, all your picasa images show up when you google your name (or at least mine) which I don't like. If I hear of another fix, I'll let you know!

      Delete