Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

St. Thomas - July 2nd

We left early on Tuesday, July 2nd, to head to St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. We had an hour layover in Atlanta and arrived in St. Thomas a little after 3. Overall the travel time there was about 7 hours and due to the time change, we lost an hour that day. We, or I, had debated on whether or not we needed a rental car while we were there or if we could just take taxis. I had also debated on economy car vs. a jeep. Evidently most of the rental car companies do not let you take economy cars on the car ferry over to St. John. We had decided to rent a car like the day or two before we left. I had read online that we could rent a car easily at the airport or even from the car rental place where we were staying so I didn't book one in advance. Needless to say, that was the wrong choice! When we got off the plane and stood in line for a rental car, they were out of cars. Budget called their place at our resort and they said they were out of cars as well. They gave us the number to Discount that wasn't far from the airport. They didn't have any cars but they did have a jeep. It was more money than we planned on paying for a rental car for the week, but we didn't really have a choice at that point. Colt was pretty angry and frustrated with me because I hadn't booked it in advance. We ended up going with the jeep, and I think we were pretty lucky to get a car at all. I will say we were definitely glad we had the car, and I think it was a must have. I wouldn't have wanted to depend on taxis, and some of the places we went in St. John we wouldn't have been able to go without a car. By the end of the trip, Colt decided he wanted him a jeep too.  

After we FINALLY got the rental car, we headed towards where we were staying. When planning the trip, I decided to rent someones little condo unit from a vacation rental place rather than staying at an actual resort. We rented Unit E-206 at Sapphire Beach Resort. I definitely recommend it. We were right on the beach with an amazing view. It was so cute and comfortable. The owners also gave us a ton of tips and recommendations on food, beaches and snorkeling that came in handy.

 On the way to our place we picked up some groceries at the Food Mart. I think a small box of cereal was $7 and milk was $6-7 as well. We got some basics to get us through the week. Even though groceries were expensive, it was still cheaper than eating out every meal. 

By the time we got to where we were staying and unloaded everything, it was already getting late and we were hungry and pretty tired. Once we checked out our place, we ate cereal and sandwiches and then we walked around to check out the beach.  

This was the view from our balcony. We had an awesome view of the beach, water and St. John. 
The inside of where we stayed
Another pic I took on my phone from the balcony
And some from walking along the beach
A pic looking back at the building where we stayed



No comments:

Post a Comment